Friday, August 6, 2010

Beer Review: Short's Brewing Bellaire Brown

Posting another review today. I will be back on the horse with some other types of posts shortly. For the time being though I have a lot of reviews that need to be posted.




A brown ale so rich, it’s hardly classifiable as brown. It’s born of copious amounts of hearty pale ale malt, and several specialty selections which make it a dark, rich and delicious masterpiece.  Very light hop additions allow the malty sweetness and flavor complexity to be most protuberant.   A beer so user friendly, we dub this the “gateway” beer.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear light brown to almost ruby. Thick head diminishes to just over the top with light lacing.

Aroma: Caramel with mostly chocolate overtones, with a light amount of floral hops.

Flavor: Starts with a smooth hop bitterness that turns into semi sweet chocolate. Light citrus hops come through. Finishes dry with a subtle caramel sweetness. 

Mouthfeel:  Medium body with low carbonation, glides across the tongue. 

Overall: In my book this is an outstanding American brown ale. I thought Moose Drool was my favorite until I had this wonderfully balanced gem. There is no roast in this so I am guessing dehusked black malt leads to the chocolate flavor. The Perfect balance of hops to even out the sweetness. This is a winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment