Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Beer Review: Anderson Valley Brewing - Boont Amber Ale

For the 2nd amber submission this week we have the only brewery west of the Mississippi.


Boont Amber Ale

“This is by far, the best ale I have tasted in my entire life. It is simply magical. It makes my mouth water for more with every gulp.”
David Centola – Dublin, CA
Boont Amber Ale won the Silver Medal at the 2003 Great American Beer Festival, in the American-Style Amber/Red Ale category, has several other medals, as well, and was named the “best beer brewed in Northern California,” by the San Francisco Bay Guardian.
Boont Amber Ale is a medium bodied pale ale with a beautiful copper color, a robust head, and the rich flavor of caramel malt. This very smooth and exceptionally drinkable beer is excellent with steaks, chicken, pasta, and other flavorful meals.
As with all of our products, Boont Amber Ale is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F
5.8 % Alcohol by Volume
15 IBU
“It’s bahl hornin’.”


Appearance: Pours a beautiful amber, the color of fossilized sap they make dinosaurs out of. Thick white head that reduces to about a half a finger.

Aroma: Biscuity caramel with some fruity and citrus hops.

Flavor: Smooth hop bitterness leads into caramel malt. Fruitiness is present and somewhat peach/apple/white grape like, possibly from the hops. Brown sugar and maybe a tinge of raisin, finishes caramelly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low to medium carbonation.

Overall: For my tastes this is really really good. Bitterness is low but the fruity hoppiness is really unique. A lot of caramel malt in this one but it isn't too overly sweet. The caramel malt may be a little much for some but I love it. I am going to have to find a clone recipe for this because the hop complexity really throws me. 


5 comments:

  1. I know I'm slightly prejudice because my son works at AVB but this is by far my favorite Ale.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love that they are canning it now so camping trips can be that much more flavorful. I'll be available if anything ever opens up at AVB....Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drinking my first one right now and I love it. I am not so much an amber fan, but this is really good. I will have to buy some more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever find a clone recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found one, supposedly this (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/boont-amber-clone-stuck-115010/) is the clone recipe from the book "Beer Captured" I have yet to try it though as I have been lacking in the brewing department. I think it must be the new job and the fact that cleaning bottles is really dragging me down.... here's to hoping my birthday comes quick and I can ask for kegging components. Or some nice supplier could let me "review" their stuff.

    ReplyDelete